Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Picking up the needles

I have been very (dare I say) out of the loop with knitting for the past few months. Between moving, trying to get a car, and starting two jobs since May, I have felt like I didn't have time to sit down and knit. Although, I did crank out a Link-style hat, a Hufflepuff scarf and most of a Doctor Who scarf with the intent of selling them to fund my car, none of those projects ever made it out of the WIP stage. And, I mean, is it really knitting if you;re forcing yourself to do it? I suppose it can be, but I try to make my knitting time as relaxing as possible.

Since I have started my bedroom redecorating project, I have decided that I need a nice, textural throw blanket in a beautiful mustard yellow to coordinate with my new color scheme (grey, purple, and yellow). I looked around online for a bit, but didn't find anything I was really pleased with. Then, I remembered, "hey, I can knit!" For the pattern, I decided on a Lion Brand pattern knit with a chunky yarn and with simple cables; this will be my largest project to date, so I didn't want something too intricate that would deter me from finishing it. I chose the "Cable Comfort / Sutter's Mill Throw."
Click here for the pattern!
Having decided on a pattern, I then turned to my favorite yarn supplier, KnitPicks.com and started purusing through their decadent selection of yarns. I knew I wanted something in their "Turmeric" shade and I needed a bulky yarn for the pattern I chose; I decided on Billow and ordered 10 skeins! I'm really excited about this yarn because of the beautiful color, luxurious feel, and variegated thickness. I know it's going to make the smooshiest, most wonderful blanket! Since it is cotton, I know it will get really pilly/hairy, but I'm hoping that will wear off after a while, as most cottons do.

While I'm waiting for my yarn order to arrive, I decided to do some warm up knitting by starting a new hat for the coming cold weather. Even though it's still in the 80's here in Indiana, it's never to early to start your winter knitting! I decided on the Katherine Hat pattern by Erin Kate Archer. I chose some Wool of the Andes from my stash (and a project that never was) in the color "Cadet" and got to knitting! I am really loving the pattern so far; there are only 4 rows to the stitch pattern- one of which repeats- making it easy to memorize and fast to work up.
Instagram snap from earlier during the Property Brothers marathon!

I can't wait to finish this one; I know it's going to be adorable for the fall! Here's to hoping my workweek(end) will pass quickly and I'll have my new yarn in hand before long!

Have a good night, readers!

Bethany

No comments:

Post a Comment